Bed bugs are one of the worst and most stressful pest infestations to have in your home or business. They are notorious for causing sleepless nights and being incredibly challenging to eradicate. Even when treated professionally, most infestations require multiple treatments to exterminate entirely. Bed bugs are especially challenging to treat due to their rapid reproduction rates. Once a bed bug infiltrates your property, you could potentially be facing a full blown infestation within a few months. Because of their prolific nature, bed bug prevention is better than bed bug treatment.
Most bed bugs gain access to homes by being brought inside by the residences. These pests can be picked up while traveling or from purchasing used furniture. Bed bugs are tiny, about the size of an apple seed when full grown, and can easily hitchhike on your belongings. Here are some steps to prevent taking bed bugs home with you.
- Inspect any hotel room you stay in, paying particular attention to the mattress and bed spring, especially along any seams, as well as the headboard and upholstered furniture
- Do not place luggage on the bed until after you have inspected the room
- Wash all clothes on the highest heat the fabric will allow when you return home
- Inspect and vacuum out luggage
- Carefully inspect any used furniture upon purchase and be especially wary of any used mattresses
There are also new and unique inventions that effectively and affordably prevent an infestation. The Bed Protector is a great option for bed bug prevention in the home or while traveling. It is designed with slick polymer that prevents bed bugs from being able to feed and stops any infestation in its tracks. If you suspect a bed bug infestation in your home, call Select Exterminating for a free quote, we can find any infestation and effectively treat these pests.